National School Counseling Week 2013, "School Counseling: Liberty and Learning for All," will be celebrated from Feb. 4-8, 2013, to focus public attention on the unique contribution of professional school counselors within U.S. school systems. National School Counseling Week, sponsored by ASCA, highlights the tremendous impact school counselors can have in helping students achieve school success and plan for a career. National School Counseling Week is always celebrated the first full week in February.
Need ideas for how to celebrate National School Counseling Week? Follow the discussion on ASCA SCENE. (Note: You'll need to set up an account on the SCENE to access the discussion if you don't already have one.)
To help you promote the week, ASCA has developed many materials and documents, a number of which are free. Order your materials by Jan. 25, 2013, to ensure they arrive in time for National School Counseling Week. Place your order online, or download an order form to fax in.
• Proclamation – Get your governor, superintendent, mayor or other dignitary to sign a proclamation declaring Feb. 4–8 as National School Counseling Week. Download a blank proclamation for free.
• Certificate of Appreciation – Show your appreciation to those faculty members, parents and other stakeholders who help you promote your school counseling program throughout the year. Download a blank certificate of appreciation for free.
• Sample press release – Download a sample press release to customize with information about what your school or district is doing to celebrate National School Counseling Week.
• Posters – Promote National School Counseling Week throughout your school with a brightly colored poster. Posters do not have a date on them and can be used year after year. Posters are available on regular poster paper, delivered folded ($3 for members/$5 for nonmembers). Or, for sturdier posters that will hold up for many years, ASCA also offers the poster in a laminated format, rolled and delivered in a tube ($6 for members/$8 for nonmembers).
• Pencils – Hand out pencils promoting school counseling to your students so they'll have a daily reminder of where to turn when they need help. Pencils may be purchased in packs of 20 ($8 for members/$10 for nonmembers). Pencils are currently available in navy.
• Stickers – Kids love stickers. Let them proudly display their support of your program with "I heart my school counselor" stickers. Also available are "My School Counselor Helps Me Succeed" stickers. Stickers come 12 to a sheet ($1 per sheet for members, $3 for nonmembers).
• Door hanger – Promote privacy when you're in a counseling session or let students know when you're available with this reversible door hanger ($3 for members/$5 for nonmembers). One side says "Counseling in Progress. Please Do Not Disturb." The reverse side says "Please Come In." (Please note: Doorhangers are khaki rather than orange as shown in picture.)
* Bookmarks – Make sure your students know where to turn when they need help. Hand out inexpensive "School Counselors: Providing Lessons for Life" bookmarks (100 per set, $15 for members/$18 for nonmembers).
Morning Announcements – Get your school excited about each day of National School Counseling Week with these sample morning announcements. Or view archived morning announcements from previous years.