School Counseling Leadership Specialist (second edition)
Location: Online, Self-paced (If you registered for the School Counseling Leadership Specialist prior to Nov. 15, 2020, click here for your materials.)
It’s been said that leaders are born, not made. If that’s true, then we’re all born leaders. Leadership is an attitude and a state of mind, not an innate ability. Everyone has leadership qualities and the potential to lead, no matter what official position we may hold.
The need for effective leaders in school counseling has never been greater. Students need school counselors to be effective educational leaders who can create systemic change in their schools. This course is meant to be transformative. It doesn't focus on how leaders behave but how leaders think; not what leaders do but what leaders are. At the completion of this course, you not only should know what makes a good leader, you should be a good leader – in your school building, district and community. View the School Counseling Leadership Specialist syllabus.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Discuss the nature of leadership and leadership attributes
- Recognize various leadership theories and principles
- Identify sources of power and authority
- Develop your own personal leadership attributes
- Develop a greater self-awareness and identify personal attributes, such as motivations and limitations, that may become obstacles to effective leadership
- Explain how leaders create systemic change in organizations
- List ways to collaborate with people at higher levels of authority as well as peers and how to foster collaboration throughout an organization
- Explain the challenges of leadership in educational settings
- Explain how to promote your program using the ASCA National Model framework and data as a guide
For $99 ($249 for nonmembers), you can earn 5 CEUs/50 Contact Hours focused on developing effective leadership qualities and learning how to use those qualities in a variety of settings and situations, all from the comfort of your own home or office. Register now.
Graduate credit is available for an additional fee (second edition of School Counseling Leadership Specialist).
Access to all webinars, journal article, magazine articles and quizzes is included in the registration price. Books must be purchased separately.